Monday, September 26, 2011

Using Layers in Photoshop

Wednesday, September 27, 2011


Using Layers in Photoshop

       I've already showed you how to use HDR in Photoshop. However, because I try not to make "mistakes", I don't use layers as much as I should.  So in this post, I'm going to show you 1 way of using layers. The concept here is simple. I have 2 images taken exactly the same but for their shutter speeds. This was to be used for HDR.
     
     With layers, you have exactly what that means, 1 photo "on top of the other". Now imagine if you have 2 different exposures, but need the bright areas from one layer, and the dark areas form the second layer. What do you do?  In layers, there are several alternatives, and I'll show you this in the future. But for today, we'll KISS it, an acronym for Keep It Simple Stupid, with no insults meant to my readership.

    What I'm do later is simply cut one part of the front layer to expose the parts that I need in the back layer. Once that is done, I'll simply merge the 2 layers together into one, with the best parts (light and dark area from the 2).

   First, I'm going to use HDR to illustrate that sometimes you just can;t get the optimal results that you would want or expect. I'm only going to work with 2 images.


Attempt # 1 - HDR

This dark image is very good for the vertical blinds and the outdoors.

This light image is good for the interior.

I'm using HDR Efex Pro for the HDR

Efex Pro offers you several variations of HDR.
FOr this room interior, I need to stick with true and "conservative - none of that exaggerated "stuff"

Here is the window with the 2 images in the HDR mode.
Some work will be needed to help the image "recover".

This is Photoshop CS5 HDR
Some preliminary work to improve the lighter image of the HDR duo.

I'm going to merge the 2 images.

Here is an enlargement of the merged HDR image

Some more work to further improve the combined image.

Notice the "noise" in the lower right corner.
That is unacceptable!


I tried to reduce the noise, but got nowhere!

This was the best final image!
Ugh!


Attempt # 2 - Layers

The original dark image that is good for the exterior exposure and the blinds.

Some burning was needed in the background


Here's the other lighter image which is good for the interior exposure and highlights.


A sloppy "burn" to see if something can be done that way.
It's not working as good as I would like.
So lets' finally get to layers.

I'm going to create a "group" from the layer menu.

Here's where I do that.


I click on the "Layer 1" because I'm going to remove the front lighter vertical blinds and outdoor portion with the magnetic mouse.

Here is the "Polygonal Lasso Tool" that I used.
You use this "lasso" when you have "straight lines".
It's fast and easy. You also have to "feather" it.
This simply means that you add a "soft edge" to the dotted line capture, so that when you do a "cut" the cut is sot at the edge.
This then allows the 2 images to "blend" together better.


I used the magnetic mouse, but did not "capture" the entire area that I needed.
Compare this image with the one below to see where I "missed out".

Ihe magnetic lasso "capture" was only up to the light.
It should have been extended farther to the left.


Here's a "close-up.
Notice that the magnetic lasso has a small plus sign (+) next to it.
This allows you to add or expand the magnetic lasso "capture".
A magnetic lasso with a negative sign (-) would be used to remove too much "capture".





Here is the "expanded area" that was needed.


I'm now going to "cut" the lighter area of the front layer.

Here are the 2 portions together.


Some "fine tuning".
And don't forget to merge down to combine the 2 layers into one.


The final image.
Notice the lack of "noise" in the lower right corner.

So that's it for now.
What you need to know is that in most image software programs, there are  multiple ways to do the same end result.  It takes time, practise, and experience to figure out what's best, fastest, and most convenient for you.





























  

No comments:

Post a Comment