Thursday, September 1, 2011

Essential Camera Accessories

September 1, 2011
Essential Camera Accessories

    There are many items that one should have as a professional photographer to help you out. The "suggestions" that I'm discussing aren't for everyone, nor do I use them everyday. However, when needed they're always there.



 Lens Caps and Lens Shades
These are important for lens protection and keeping flare out. Lens flare is undesirable light that can enter the lens. If you face the camera and see small hot spots in the lens, then you have flare!


 Lens Caps and Lens Shades

 Lens Caps and Lens Shades
These come with your camera, but you can also buy "extras".


Extra Batteries and Rechargers
This is one of the best "extras"or accessories that I ever purchased.
Having the extra battery in the camera allows me to shoot almost endlessly.

Remote timer releases
These also are a necessity. Theres always is camera shake whether you think so or not.
By having the camera on a tripod and using the remote, you minimize any shake or vibration, and help to ensure big enlargements without camera shake showing.
The remote on the left is wireless (sends IR signals) , while the one on the right attaches to the camera.
I find that even this latter one creates some shake!

Normal Alkali Battery Holder (AAA)
This is an "extra" for unforeseen possibilities. 
I'd bring one of these wti a couple of dozen batteries if I was going to a remote place without electricity.


Ugh! Camera Shake.
Lens Cleaning Cloth
This is a good item to have to remove grease that might have touched your lens



Small Camera Levels
These are for when you're doing architecture.
In architecture, you have to have your verticals vertical, and your horizontals level.
These small accessories can be attached to your camera hot shoe either in the vertical or horizontal position.
Better-quality tripods have them. 


Canon Angle Finder
This is an extension that allows you to view the scene that you are looking at more comfortably.
It's great if your camera is 2 feet off the ground on a tripod, or 6 feet high.
It also rotates to different angles.



Anti-static Brush
This is an item needed should you ever have a speck of dust land on your CCD array sensor.
However, the key rule here is "be gentle and be comfortable (sit), whenever you touch the CCD array.


Extra Camera Battery Door
I purchased a couple of these as any camera parts that you use repetitively will eventually break from "stress". So far, I haven't had to replace the door!


The Delkin DC500D-P
This is a device that I use all the time. It fits over the image viewer on the back of the camera and shields the image from distracting unwanted light.  As you can see, it has the same features (through small buttons) that fit over the camera back.
Daylight shooting is still difficult, but this helps 100%.
In the studio, this device is fantastic!


The Delkin DC500D-P opened up.
The 3 flaps (left and right sides and the top) shield the digital screen.


    There are a few other accessories that I didn't photograph, and will do so in the  future.

1.  Blower Brush: This helps to remove dust form camera parts or lenses. When using it, keep the camera or lens pointed downwards, and shoot the wafts of air upwards. Any dust particles that dislodge, will fall due to gravity.

2.  Tripod:  I never leave home without it, and in the home, I always have it supporting my camera. I use it for portraits, tabletops, and landscapes.

3.  Camera Bag: I have a nice padded camera bag that I had made by someone whom I did a favour for. It had 4 padded compartments for lenses, my camera, and accessories. It's also less conspicuous, so it doesn't draw attention.

4. Motion Detector Alarm:  This devise is great. It attaches to your camera bag, and you can either attach it on the inside or the outside of the camera bag. ALthough I'm always trying to keep an eye on the camera bag, and will keep it under my tripod, sometimes you do forget. This is when I forget, and should that bag move, I'll be running faster than a speeding bullet (with apologies to Superman). 

5. Lens Cleaning Fluid:  This is great for cleaning your lens. Always add the fluid to a disposable lens-cleaning tissue so any excess doesn't get into the interior of the lens!

I'm sure that I'll think of a few other items as soon as I post this instalment. If also,you - the reader, has any additional items, please feel free to e-mail me.


No comments:

Post a Comment