Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Using Your Scanner As a Last Resort

Thursday, April 12, 2012


Using Your Scanner
(As a Last Resort)

     I needed to photograph the bottom of a toy,that I forgot to photograph. I wasn't in the mood to set up my camera, and so I decided to use my scanner.  That doesn't seem to "make sense", but you can do a fast scan of a 3-dimensional) object. My scanner is a V700 Epson, which is just "super" Unfortunately,  the scanner may become a "relic" and a"collector's item". With today's digital cameras, most people can simply copy any photo or document with their camera. Nevertheless, it's a great tool to have.

                                                 There are some "obstacles to overcome. 

1. The first is that the top part of the scanner will not sit flat on the toy. 

2. You need a material cover over the object so that the 
bottom glass face of the scanner does not catch  
    the reflection of its' surroundings (as it acts as a mirror).

3. You have to hold the object level and still so that it does not move
of get scanned at an angle.

4. You need to be careful not to scratch the glass surface.


    Scanners come with their own software to make adjustments, or you can install the scanner within  most photo image-editing softwares such as Photoshop.   I don't use my scanner all that much, and I had trouble figuring out how to install the scanner within Photoshop. Therefore what you'll see below are images that I captured that illustrate Epson's own software.

Epson's Own Scanning Software Menu


Notice how the Arcor racer is too low for the scanner.
The toy is 10" (254mm) long, so it covers the whole length of the scanner surface.

Notice also how the scan is too dark and needs adjustments.
You can scan and save the image, then open the scan in Photoshop.

However, I find it best to scan the image of 3D subject properly with the scanner.

Now I have the toy centred properly under the scanner unit.


When you make a scan, you have 2 modes .
Preview is a fast "Practice" scan to see if the image is centred.
"Scan" mode is the actual high-quality image scan.

Preview is very fast, while Scan is slow but of very high quality.

Above is one of the sub-menus.
It's a histogram.

Notice how I moved the pale mid-tone arrow to the left.
That allowed me to see more shadow detail.


Look at how the before and after images appear with the histogram adjustment.

The "preview" image before the scan

THe underside view of the Arcor racer.

The top view of the racer.

Notice how there are lots of dust particles at the tail  or back of the racer.
I also "cut off" the tail of the racer.


This is the final cleaned up (spotted) view of the racer.


This is a scan that I didi with the Epson scanner.
I needed this for my toy blog.

That address is oldantiquetoys.blogspot.com


Thanks for dropping by, 
and as always,
have a good morning, afternoon, or evening
wherever you may be.










No comments:

Post a Comment